9/21/09

Rent.

Since Dan has been writing about musicals, I had to post about Rent. I recommend watching the movie where there is a great documentary about the writer/composer Jonathan Larson who had to work for a decade to promote himself and send his stuff out there. He faced rejection after rejection and waited tables for a living, thus composing music for 8 hours a day on his days off.

Rent isn't a particularly great story, but Larson is a great composer and song writer, thus making it a great musical. Poor Larson was waiting for his positive review in the NYT and when it finally opened on Broadway, he got it, and then went home that night and died at the age of 35.

Here's a clip with Mimi singing "Out Tonight," (played by Rosario Dawson). This is Dan's favorite clip. I'm sure after watching you can see why. I want those badass boots!

She makes me want to be a stripper. So here's the clip already: