9/14/09

The Last Woman On Earth

One of my fave Roger Corman films is The Last Woman On Earth.

Many similar apocalyptic tales have existed, but this one has always stuck with me. Perhaps it's because I first saw it in a theater, a matinee at one of the local theaters growing u[p. I think the owner let me see it for free because I did some stuff for him. Those were the days!

And, while it's not a masterpiece, it is better than expected, partly because it has a decent screenplay, written by Robert Towne, who'd later pen Roman Polanski's Chinatown.

Note how the film opens at a cockfight in Puerto Rico. One of the things that often made cheapo films like this, shot in the 50s and 60s, so interesting is how there would be little moments like this that Hollywood would never show. Only in foreign films and B films would such non-clean realities exist. Think of a film like The Wages Of Fear, also.

This sort of realistic depiction of life, even if often hamfistedly handled, related to me, much in the same way a cartoon like Fat Albert did, since it was the only cartoon that showed poor and black people.

Anyway, before I veer into a sociological tract, enjoy the whole film, for free, courtesy of a lapsed copyright.

Watch: