9/12/09

Bullshit I can't hear you. Sound off like you got a pair!



I watched Full Metal Jacket last week and it's such a kick ass film. I was moved to rewatch after having watched The Human Condition over the course of a week. I saw FMJ in the theaters when I was 11 and admittedly did not get all the humor and sexual references at the time.

Here are some quotes:

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?
Private Cowboy: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked shit that high.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Tonight, you pukes will sleep with your rifles. You will give your rifle a girl's name because this is the only pussy you people are going to get. Your days of finger-banging ol' Mary J. Rottencrotch through her pertty pink panties are over! You're married to this piece. This weapon of iron and wood. And you will be faithful. Port, hut!

I also have to say what a great actor Vincent D'Onofrio is because he literally can morph into his roles and become them (as opposed to a bad actor like Tom Cruise who is always Tom Cruise). While watching it, you almost think he has Down's syndrome or something, he's just so believable. Thus his awesomeness is what earned him in the Manly Men Hall of Fame.

Likewise, Matthew Modine is also great in the role and he and D'Onofrio were both 28 at the time of this filming. Even though Modine isn't my "type" in terms of looks, I was attracted to his character because he's smart, a wise ass, and in control (and a writer to boot) and I told Dan the character reminded me of him. So Private Joker is a cutie.

Watch the opening scene I embedded above, the acting is so great by D'Onofrio, you can see why the character would be smiling the way he is, partly due to nerves, yes, when there is a drill instructor screaming in your face, but also if someone was saying things like, "I'm gonna gouge out your eyes and skull fuck you," and "Do you suck dicks?" I'd probably be laughing too.

And Vincent had to fatten up for that role: he's actually kind of sexy.