2/25/10

On Al Pacino

I think Al Pacino is a good actor. One who has given great performances. But, as with Robert De Niro, his best work is long behind him.



Most obviously, look at the film he won his Oscar for, The Scent Of A Woman, a piece of schlock, and compare it to his films from the 1970s: the two The Godfather films, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, and others. Hell, even look at Scarface, his camp classic.

In short, Al don't do dat no m'. Yes, he's older, but how often does he challenge himself. If I had his money and name value, wouldn't I do a schlock film for a paycheck, then produce indy films on the side, so my creative side was fed?

Ok, he has done a few indy and smaller films, but isn't he just always Pacino? I mean, yes, De Niro has sort of genericized himself with later roles that fed off of his, 'You talking to me? type persona, but no one's caricatured himself as much as Pacino since old Duke Wayne strode Hollywood.



C'mon, how many times has the word rant been linked with a Pacino performance? And therein the essence of my plaint. Granted, he's done far more than many actors have or could in their career, but is it to much to ask an actor to have integrity throughout his career, especially when he's a superstar like Pacino has been, for four decades? This fact is why he's a good actor, not a great one.