2/18/10

Amelie.

Tonight my mom told me of a movie she'd rented. She told me the name of it was "Aime," the French word for "friend," and so I was prepared to watch a new foreign film.

But I saw that the film was actually the 2001 Amelie, a film I'd seen once before, but only got better upon rewatch. Directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the film is dreamy and whimsical, sweet yet clever. It is the ultimate feel good film, and how fun it would be to see things through the eyes of Amelie.

The character is a shy girl, one who decides she is going to make others happy by performing odd gestures. Roger Ebert had some good things to say as well. The way the story progressed reminded me of a Vonnegut novel--we're getting snippets of people, places, etc. The film is very picturesque and explores child-like innocence and imagination, and the way the story is told is quite novel in itself.

Here's the trailer: