7/2/09

The Outsiders.

I finally got around to watching The Outsiders by Francis Ford Coppola. It's a good solid film, but not a great one. The story isn't all that compelling, I didn't think, though I have not read the book this film is based on.

The odd thing is that this film begins at the end, and so once I knew that, I would have to rewatch the whole thing before I could come to a full conclusion. Ralph Macchio is cute but a bit jail bait looking. Odd since he was 22 in that film and he looks about 12. He doesn't even look 16--the age his character is supposed to be.



Ralph Macchio: the 22 year old who looks 12. "Stay Gold," he says.


Still kinda boyish cute. Not bad for 48.

You could take this film and mix it with the cast of St. Elmo's Fire and try to create a game: which Brat Pack member belongs in what film? And which ones overlap into both films? Hmmmm.....


Though the film quotes this entire poem by Robert Frost:

Nothing Gold Can Stay
by Robert Frost

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.