5/15/09

Sleeper.

I watched the 1973 Woody Allen film Sleeper last night. It's been kind of a hectic and emotionally tiring week, so I just wanted something lite to kick back and enjoy. I remember this movie from when I was a kid and saw it on TV. It's silly-funny. Basically Woody Allen wakes up and the year is 2173, and it's always funny to see what the past anticipated the future would be like. The computers are still large and film projectors are still being used, yet the hair and styles are still from the 1970s.

Even though the movie is silly, there are still some witty lines. A list can be found here, but here are some of them:

Luna Schlosser: It's hard to believe that you haven't had sex for 200 years.
Miles Monroe: 204, if you count my marriage.

Miles Monroe: I'm not really the heroic type. I was beat up by Quakers.

Miles Monroe: When I asked my mother where babies came from, she thought I said "rabies." She said you get them from being bitten by a dog. The next week, a woman on my block gave birth to triplets... I thought she'd been bitten by a great dane.

Miles Monroe: I'm what you would call a teleological, existential atheist. I believe that there's an intelligence to the universe, with the exception of certain parts of New Jersey.

Luna Schlosser: I think we should have had sex, but there weren't enough people.

The trailer is really funny and worth the watch. Woody appears in it as himself: