5/3/09

Elem Klimov's COME AND SEE





COME AND SEE




Mentioning Eisenstein today made me remember one fine russian movie by Elem Klimov.
One of the best movies I've seen about WW2. Seen and heard thru the eyes and ears of a young boy who decided to join the russian army. why "heard"?? after barely surviving explosions, the young boy (and us) will be hearing humming noise as a result of ears damage for the rest of the movie.
The young boy's face features will have a transition from a soft childish face to plastic-like harsh features.
I've seen it a while ago but I remember well finding the ending is little "preachy".... but overall a pretty solid work.

I'm planning to watch two Russian movies soon: Sokurov's Father and Son, and Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky (reputedly a masterpiece).

WASSIM