10/10/09

A Question: 2001 or Salo?

I watched one of my all time fave films: 2001: A Space Odyssey today, largely in part because I am in dire need of some intelligent stimulation, and I feel like the convos I've heard as of late have all been dull, touchy-feely shit, so I needed something that both expresses and transcends the human condition, or some other such jibber-jabber. As we neared the end, Dan sat and watched with me.

Here are some great scenes:





The end is so fucking great it is orgasmic. That's how I know Woody Allen got his idea in Sleeper for the Orgasmotron.

Here is Stanley talking about it:



Then, after the film was done, Dan posed the query: which is better? 2001 or Salo? Here is the brilliance of Salo, summed in one clip:



Just fucking brilliant. Can you guess what the brown is supposed to be? The old man tells the boy to "Eat his shit."

I'm drinking hot chocolate as I type this. Seriously. I am.