4/13/09

My Dinner With Andre

Found out not long ago that My Dinner With Andre, by Louis Malle, was finally gonna get The Criterion Collection release it deserves, this summer. As a pre-reviewer for some of their titles, I hope I make the list to get a free pre-release copy. If not I'll get it anyway.

Along with Chris Marker's La Jetee and Bela Tarr's Satantango, this film pushes huge cinematic boundaries. Marker's film uses still photos that seem to move in recall, Tarr's film uses super long shots that seem to condense the seven hour film down to the length of a standard release, in recall, and Malle's film is all spoke about a restaurant table, but, in recall, one can 'see' the scenes that are only described. A marvelous film, and one of the best screenplays ever written.

Here are three great 'scenes' from this film:







Terrific writing.