4/7/09

First Spaceship On Venus

I erred. In my prior post I mistakenly recalled Planeta Burg as the Venus-based film based upon a novel by Stanislaw Lem- that's what I get for not Googling first!

So, to atone, I will give you the actual film based upon Lem's novel- 1959-1960's internationally cast First Spaceship On Venus. Don't think it's as good as Planeta Burg (nor Voyage To The Prehistoric Planet), but it's a cut above most sci fi of the time. Only Forbidden Planet, made in Hollywood, was as good as these two films.

I watched reams of these sorts of films on tv, and sneaking into old run movie theaters in the late 60s and early 70s. The film's German title is Der Schweigende Stern, but it's a relatively thoughtful film, low on action and high on mystery. For its time, it was 'realistic,' even as it was set in that far flung year of 1985!

Here is the trailer:



The trailer's hyperbole does no justice to the actual film.

Here is the film:


Films like this remind me of youth. Ah, wherefore time?