3/7/10

Scorsese's Shutter Island

I don't consider Scorsese a great artist, he definitely had great moments (Taxi Driver, After Hours), OK moments (Goodfellas), bad moments (Departed).... but Shutter Island is -by far- one of his worst. I never expected I'd compare him to Shyamalan but I couldn't escape it. Shutter Island has all the ingredients of a Shymalan's, and if I was to guess who directed it I'd think of him instead of Scorsese. By ingredients I mean the Cartoonish feel and cinematography, the plastic acting, the pretentious attempt to have a depth (whether in narrative or characters), and of course.... the twist by the end. And -unlike what's promoted- it's a silly and predictable one. After years now I think the only good twist that Scorsese achieved was going that low in movie making. Is it age? I think it is... you get more emotional with age I guess, unlike the claimed "wisdom"... in fact no artist or movie maker got any better at advanced age.