3/15/10

The Monkees' Head

I've never seen the full film of Head, but I've heard that it's the rare thing that was made by The Monkees that critics did not, and do not, savagely rip.



Yes, I know the band were dubbed The Pre-Fab Four (ala The Beatles), and most of their best songs they did not write. And, yes, only Peter Tork and Mike Nesmith were 'real' musicians. But, the end result is what counts, and at their best The Monkees' best music is on par with the best of any pop band of the 1960s. After all, with folks like Neil Diamond and Carole King writing songs for you, that's a great plus. And given today's American Idol craze, it's kind of silly to think how much vitriol the band engendered over their pre-fab roots.



I grew up watching reruns of their tv show, and it was head and shoulders above the puerility of the films put out by The Beatles, for these guys were actors, and music videos were their real, a decade and a half before MTV.

Yes, I'll be looking for this film online to review. If you beat me to it, let me know your thoughts.