3/4/11

Love Is the Devil Trailer



This is probably the worst biopic I have ever seen and that says A LOT. I'll go as far as to say this is worse than The Hours, and that's pretty bad. At least with The Hours there were some nice pastures to look at and there were some sunny moments (yes it is a very dour film but I mean 'sunny' in the literal, not happy sense, like you saw the sun). In this piece of excrement there is nothing but dismal rooms and horrid filming accompanied by very pretentious artsy torment cliches.

So how I came to watch this was I was killing some time and so I streamed it off NF because it has Daniel Craig and I think he is cute. Ok, not a profound reason, but also I didn't know much about the painter Francis Bacon so I figured what the hell.

But all this film showed was all his crap: fucking lots of guys, brushing his teeth with bleach powder, living in a shithole pile of filth, enjoys being beaten and burned with cigarettes, etc, etc, etc. Not a single mention about his work, why his painting is any good or why he is worth examining. While I don't expect biopics to go into great length or depth, there should at least be a minimal effort.

Pollock is a masterpiece compared to this (overall a pretty good biopic). Although it does go into some of the melodrama, there's at least discussions on art and an attempt to address why Pollock is a notable painter (even if you disagree--I don't think much of him but I do enjoy the film).

But this is crap. You can stream it off NF if you are bored but chances are you will be even more bored watching this.